View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 05:52 AM   #8
jeffk

The first thing to do is check the information about your property for accuracy. Are the room sizes right? Is the description of each room correct? In my case, I had 2 porches, one unfinished and not heated and the other finished and not heated. The assessment listed both as finished, heated porches, i.e. year round living space. These kind of "fixes" are a mostly a slam dunk.

As others have suggested, the next thing to do is find out the properties used for comparison and look for differences, especially where your property is NOT as valuable. This is less certain to succeed. Your opinion may differ from the assessor's standards.

The final option is to pay a private assessor for an assessment. I was fortunate to have done an assessment for other purposes and it was lower than the figure the town was using.

And, as others have said, the reality is that the value of lakefront property has soared. With that comes a bigger share of the property tax compared to those properties that have not. However, in some areas, non lakefront property has also gone up so that could mitigate the impact. That's just how property taxes work and it is amplified in NH because most of the personal tax paid is link to property.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote