View Single Post
Old 01-28-2023, 02:02 PM   #4
joec

What you said was mostly true but I have a few corrections. The engine you refer to was one of Toyota 2.4 litre engines that was used in some Toyota Camry, Rav4 , Corolla and Matrix also Scion TC and XB. We had two Scion TCs in our family and I owned one of them I bought new. The term of notification is TSB for Technical Service Bulleton.

We were both notified of the oil burning problem by mail. Me being the original owner and my family member being the second owner. This was done after a class action law suit from owners regarding this problem.

The TSB was to warranty the engine up to 10 years or 120K miles based on a check of the oil burning problem. Toyota/Scion check the oil level and seal the dipstick and have you drive 1200 miles and come back in. If the car burned more than a quart of oil, you got a free rebuilt bottom end of the engine.

Both our cars burned oil and I did my own check and our cars used a quart in about 2000 miles so we didn't qualify for the rebuild.. I started using high mileage oil and that did slow the oil use. If you kept oil in the engine, they would run a long time.

I sold off my Scion in December because of rust. The body was fine, all the suspension, lines were gone. Everything was original except brakes, tires, gas cap and a battery that lasted 14 years. I figured between the rust and having to replace all the stuff that lasted 14 years and over 125K miles, I would be buying a new car piece by piece.

Scion was created by Toyota to bring in a younger crowd but a lot of the buyers were actually much older than their target. Scion did well for the first couple years but were later far out classed by Civic SI, Subaru WRX, VW GTI, etc and Toyota gave up on Scion about 12 years ago.
joec is offline   Reply With Quote