View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
winnipiseogee

Full disclosure here - I'm the Chairman of Stewart's. We do provide free care in all 6 of our towns (Meredith, Center Harbor, Sandwich, Moultonboro & Wolfeboro). You will only ever receive a bill from us if you are transported. Our theory is that we would much rather you call us and get checked out than have a heart attack or other serious condition go untreated. Please - if you aren't feeling well call 911 and at least let us check you out!

For Broadhopper we don't cover Gunstock or you wouldn't have gotten a bill. We always give people the opportunity to go by personal vehicle so long as its safe to do so.

The MB Sprinter is a great vehicle and we love having them. The are incredibly reliable and very cost efficient. As a tax payer I try and do everything possible to save our towns money.

Finally I agree that ambulance bills are ridiculously high. Health care costs in general are insane and the system is broken. When you see our bills please keep in mind how we operate. We treat all of our patients without any discussion of how we might get paid. You are never asked for your insurance information in the back of one of our ambulances. While you are our patient we focus only on keeping you healthy.

That said, being in a tourist town means we OFTEN get stiffed on our bills. Folks get treated and we never hear from them again and we don't get paid. Unfortunately our bills our high because we have to write-off a high percentage of our bills. Don't blame us though - we didn't set this system up. It was designed and implemented in Concord and Washington :-)

Thanks.
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to winnipiseogee For This Useful Post: