Thread: Safety Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
NoRegrets

Thank you VTSteve for the starting of this thread. It is so easy to get lost in the details of the many threads and over respond to simple posts.

Here is a partial quote from the first post:
"If anyone can add to the suggestions put forth this year, great. If anyone can factually cite erroneous information, I'd appreciate it being posted. If people want to list their boats owned ( I wish they would), please do so. Please no name-calling, no shouting, just ideas and postings of facts. I'd like this thread to be more above-board than I know the other will be. Yes, this is a competiotion for best behavior." VTSteve

Nice post Airwaves - Setting the facts straight!

I read APS quote and first thought he was off base and blowing a cork. After reading your initial post for this thread I saw you are asking for all to validate facts then APS seemed OK. However, the shouting bold print did break another of your requests.....

There is a fine line between using things properly and having a disaster. Fire is great to keep the house warm but a simple accident can burn the house down. (inattention, faulty equipment, bad fuel, etc...) The bigger the equipment the faster the problem so more attention is required to insure safety to all for a long time.

The Littlefield case is a DWI issue complete with the conviction of a criminal. Speed was not an issue based on our current temporary law (say it enough times and maybe it will be allowed to run it's intended course). A small boat (18 foot bow rider) could have climbed over the back of the wellcraft just as easily as the monster Baja with the same tragic results. Laws would not have changed the outcome.

Education is the only suitable approach to awareness. I have a personal opinion that many laws on the books are totally useless. They are enforced in a very subjective manor giving excessive power or opportunities for authoritative corruption. I find it interesting that some forum members are really upset when someone pases within 150 ft safely because it breaks a "law". In this case it is our own mental framework that decides if a finger solute or polite wave of acknowledgement of a safe pass is offered.

Education - Awareness - Courtesy - and the golden rule of "do unto others as you would have done unto you" may be a step towards a less restrictive recreational area.

To list my boat(S)
34' SeaRay Sundancer, 12' OldTown Canoe, 10 ' OldTown Kayak.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post: