Thread: Safety Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
From the comments that I have read on this forum, there is a huge problem with people not adhering to the 150' law. I think that is by far the biggest SAFETY issue on the lake.
I'm still not convinced the 150' law does anything for any net impact on safety. The root cause of all of this is still boater education and what appears to be an overall lack of experienced boaters on the lake. Secondarily there is also a lack of courtesy, but I think the two have a relation, if you actually have to exert some effort to obtain a boating certificate, you will have greater respect for other who have done the same and that (should) lead to more courtesy as well.

My concern with the 150' rule is that it often causes myself, or other boaters, to take what is an illogical course through areas of mild congestion. There is no danger to passing within 75' (or less) of another vessel in most conditions. However, in order to maintain 150' separation we have to take an oddball course at times, making erratic changes in our direction. Or, slow to headway speed, which when I see a boat suddenly go from planing speed to headway speed, my first thought is that there is something in the water, they have lost a person or object overboard, or some other concern. Of course you could claim that a 100' separation IS a safety concern, but I disagree.

The fact is, NO amount of laws enacted in the name of safety will ever account for the fact that boating certificates are still passed out like candy to people who are clueless and/or inconsiderate. The penalties for the rarely cited infraction still seem to carry no significant consequences. Forget about points on your drivers license, penalties should be loss of operator privileges for a time period (3-7 days likely).