View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #30
Mee-n-Mac

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
The costs of implementing what is primarily a weekend program is extremely small. Obviously, you target the trouble spots, and not blanket the state if not needed. It's really about time people put their money where their mouth is. A fairly simple program like this doesn't take away much in the way of existing resources, and specifically targets the two most prominent problems on many bodies of water. It might actually target another of the top three problems indirectly.

I've heard mostly jabbering about safety and violations over the last few years, but whenever support for the MP comes up, it gets stalled.
Let me question where the problem lies. Are the majority of violations due to experienced Winni boaters or are most due to out-of-state trailer boaters ? I'll guess it's really the former. Signs aren't going to fix this ... if true. As for stops ... I see the NHMP make a lot of 150' stops most weekends just off Sandy Pt. If it's helping I don't see it. I suspect most know the rule but just don't follow it. In some cases (as has been said) an infraction is just a mere technicality. In a lot of the stops I see above, it really wasn't (a technicality), due to the amount of local traffic. Some people just turn off their brain when they turn on the ignition key. You need to find another way to break through to them and I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps hand out an amusing DVD of stupid boater goof-ups with every stop. People might learn while making fun of others ???