View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Should the local police get training on new technology?
Maybe, but I suspect it's not a high priority when budgets are tight, unless you're talking about new technologies that present a safety hazard for emergency responders (e.g., the early days of airbags and hybrid batteries) The other problem is that automotive technology is constantly evolving, and there are so many different makes/models out there.

Your story reminded me of a situation my brother ran into in Massachusetts several years ago. He was driving on a dark secondary road near his home one rainy, foggy evening in his Volvo wagon, when he suddely spotted blue lights in the rearview mirror. He knew he wasn't speeding or doing anything that would justify a stop, but he pulled over.

Cop: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Brother: "I have no idea."
Cop: "There's a tail light bulb burned out on the passenger side"
Brother: "Really? They were working when I left a little while ago. Oh, I almost forgot ...I'm using the rear fog light, which is only on the drivers' side. It's a safety feature on Volvos that's designed to increase rear visibility in bad weather. That's probably what you're seeing."
Cop: "License & registration, please".
Brother: "I have the owners manual right here in the glove compartment. Here, take a look!"
Cop: (Goes back to cruiser to call in the license & registration; comes back a few minutes later with a summons for defective equipment) "Have a nice evening".

My brother checked the tail lights when he got home, and as he suspected, both sides were working. The cop was unfamiliar with the Volvo line, convinced that he was right, and nothing my brother said could persuade him otherwise.

So, my brother had to take time off from work and go to court with the owners manual. The cop couldn't be bothered to show up.