View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 05:47 PM   #17
NH.Solar

There is a sizable electical bill savings available for most of the readers of this forum that many may not be aware of, and that is the storage of hot water during off peak hour utility rates. (this carriesover to EV charging too).
To take advantage of this you will need a hot water heater that is large enought to easily meet your daily needs, in most cases 70+ gallons.
If you sign up for the late night discounted non- peak time rates the savings can amount ot 25% or more. Set your water heater to bring the stored water temp up to at least 140+ degrees during the late night discounted time rates and you will accomplish two things; your water will be sterilized, and two that cheaply heated stored water will likely carry through much of the next day. In effect your water heater willhave become a very effective form of energy storage, ie a battery, for the power you will consume anyway. The only extra item required to enable and make safe this energy savings is a mixing vlave to ensurethat your tap water doesn'r exceed 125-130 degrees, but they are realatively cheap and easily installed.
I have been living with this exact setup on my Marathon for years now and always had beaucoup hot water and thanks to my modest 8 kW roof solar array seldom see much of an electrical bill ...even with an EV, heated towel racks (yes!) and radiant floors!