View Single Post
Old 09-06-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
For a singular shower, I'd agree. I'd probably still do an on-demand if price wasn't an issue and the electric service would handle it given the hope that it "takes up less space, is dependable, and easy to winterize." The electric on-demands just can't hang with multiple uses at the same time.

I replaced my electric 50-gallon with another electric 50-gallon because 1. It was cheap—something like $500 a few years ago, 2. I could do it myself, 3. It's in a closet, so the standby loss is minimal, and 4. 50 gallons is (just) enough to run the (new) dishwasher and run four showers. We've gone completely cold water with laundry, so that's a non-issue.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
Although electricity has gone up, propane service delivered to the islands is expensive as well, and not always easy to get. Unless you are lugging your own 100lb tanks back and forth, there is one game in town for propane delivery. LWIPM does it, and I have heard of people waiting a long time for it.

We only use propane for our range. Our recent remodel uses an electric water heater. We have 1 x 100lb lowboy cylinder that I can haul myself if needed with a dolly and my good friend Steve's pontoon

We put it in last May and still have 40% left. Guaranteed if we were using it for hot water we would already be into another tank, or would have to set up a bank of a few.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote