View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #83
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I remember hearing very loud boats, many of which were slow, decades ago on Winni.
I too fondly remember virtually all inboards built before the 1980’s and jet drives boats of the 1960’s & 1970’s had open above the waterline exhaust and they were not necessarily big and fast boats, all too often they were family boats and were under 20’

The 16’ – 20’ jets drive boats were quite popular right up to 1980 as they were billed as a safer option because they had no external propeller and they were almost all powered by big block Olds or Ford or Chevy engines that had big low restriction water-cooled aluminum exhaust manifolds and they would bellow loud and clear when you got on them and had the four carb opened up! Interestingly, most of them would not break 50 MPH on a good day,,, But they were very popular and never caused any commotion due to their sound that I know of,,,

So how does the owner of a classic 1970 Glastron 18’ jet boat respond to the noise law where there is no reasonable way to retrofit a marine muffler and/or a below the waterline exhaust? And clearly these boats are going to blow the dB limits at full throttle, but that’s just how they were manufactured.

It seems interesting to me that such boats were not a problem for over 60 years but now they are the worst thing since the invention of the power boat itself,,, I say again, what am I missing???