View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
ApS

Default The "UN-Spiritual" Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
"...This to us was an example of how a few bad apples tend to spoil boating for the majority and why new laws have been necessary..."
1) It's the tragic—yet readily foreseen—headlines that lead to new laws; however, other laws are made when some have no sense of The Golden Rule.

2) Winnipesaukee's classic Lakers have been "grandfathered" to their loud exhaust—by law: It's the "bad apples" who think they have some greater entitlement to an even louder exhaust noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
"...Why do some people feel they have to call so much attention to their boating activities...?
I am often asked that question.

My answer has two parts:

1) Since they're seldom seen far from an ocean's shore, it must have something to do with the "It's-All-About-Me" generation.

2) It's a cult: I call it the The Mutual Admiration Club.

3) Conspicuous Consumption:

While many of us putt around on a modest amount of fuel, some have to burn off the diminishing commodity of fossil fuel at the rate of 1 gallon per minute.

(OK, that's three parts).

Having said that, I'd like to congratulate one boater who "motored gently" in a boat whose only complaint from me is that his paint scheme was too loud.

(I've forgotten the boat's exact name, but it ran something like, "Doin' It Right").

The Great Spirit --> <--
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: