View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 09:46 PM   #23
Leoskeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I have tried to like soccer. I agree the stakes are higher with each goal since there are so few goals scored. The U.S. game versus England had ZERO shots on goal for the U.S. squad. ZERO! In my opinion that's painful to watch. Hockey is much better. At least there are 20-30 shots on goal for each team, making it far more exciting. And nothing, not even the NFL, beats playoff hockey. To analogize soccer with hockey, it is the equivalent to a team endlessly passing the puck in the neutral zone, which would be very boring.
Splitting hairs, but the US had 10 shots against England, and while technically only one shot was considered “on goal”. But when they miss the goal by six inches, that’s not considered a “shot on goal”, but VERY exciting. They had many scoring chances, and that’s exciting, as is stopping or “surviving” the scoring chances by the other team. It’s the build-up to each chance that’s so exciting to hundreds of millions(maybe billions). Oh, and the national pride of rooting for your country.
I’m a long-time Celtics season ticket holder, and love the C’s, but the World Cup is like the NBA Playoffs to many of us.
But it’s not for everybody!
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leoskeys For This Useful Post: