View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #80
No-Mo-Shun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie B from HB
Hi Car Guy and And Captn Bob-
I remember as a kid in the forties and fifties taking the chair lift to the top of Mt. Rowe ($.25 a ride) to pick blueberries with my mother. She picked and I ate. But she was good and got a pail full. That's a lot of picking. She would bake pies, which to this day were the best I've ever had.

But, my fondest memory is the sunny mornings sitting on the bench seats that surrounded the oilcloth covered table, just inside the front of our camp on Long Beach, with the two large front windows pulled open, to reveal an uncluttered view of the lake and the Osipees (sp?) on the far side while my mother served us incredible blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

Best regards,
Dick B.
Dick, Those pancakes sure were good. When breakfast was over, it was off to the ball field for me and play softball til noon. Another great thing about that cabin was going to sleep at night and hearing the waves lap up on the beach. In my later teen years, I would finish breakfast and hop in the boat, headed for "Aquavue" and work. My Summer job was helping Uncle Allen build cabins. He taught me a lot about carpentry. If we got too hot, we would jump in the lake and toss rocks to make a nice sandy bottom. That job took a couple of years. We would build one cabin a Summer. Foster's was the first and Ellie's was last. Any bent nails found in the cabins could probab ly be blamed on me.
Bilbo

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote