View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Chickie

Default Skunk Tales and Adventures

I had a mother and four kits move into my barn about four years ago. I leave an open space under the barn so my cat can come and go as she pleases, and I guess they thought they were welcome to do so, as well. It was panic time when I discovered them there, but they only peered at me from a distance and spared me from their scent of sweet perfume. I called the animal control officer and learned she has on occasion caught such critters, but her main concern is usually dogs and cats. She gave me the phone number of Fish & Game and wished me luck.

Fish and Game does not get involved with such things, but they gave me a list of trappers. It would have cost $100 to set the trap and $100 for each kitty they caught and relocated. The receptionist I spoke with was most helpful. She told me that skunks are nomadic creatures and if I could wait them out for a week or two, they would probably depart on their own.

Every night at dusk, they would come out to romp and feed on my lawn and I would take refuge on my back porch. I found a website which gave me more information than I ever wanted to know about the lives of skunks. One site was entitled, “I Never Met A Skunk I Didn’t Like.” How cool is that? They are actually very docile creatures and not "out to get you" – will rarely spray unless cornered. A friend suggested I set up a radio and blast them with loud music night and day. Instead of getting them to move on, I believe they were holding barn dances every night. No luck with that. Anyway in a little over two weeks’ time they had packed their bags and left the premises, never to be seen again.

My cousin, who is a woman in her 80’s has trapped a number of them at her home and says she has never been sprayed. She uses a Have A Heart Trap, throws a blanket over them and off they go to a new environment. She is braver than I am.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote