View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
Grandpa Redneck

It has been working relatively well for us. Snow cover has been an issue, but I took preventative measures for that, we have 3 smaller 160 watt panels mounted vertically on the shed wall, they don't get snow covered, so they keep the battery bank topped off when the roof panels do get snow covered and we are not there to clean them off. We also have a backup generator just in case we need to charge the batteries because of too many sunless days in a row.
We have cleared out some trees to get better sun on the panels.
We had to go solar or run the generator all the time, our cabin is 3 miles from the nearest power line.
Our system is 8 210 watt panels on the shed roof, run to a Victron 250/100 MPPT charge controller, the 3 160 watt wall panels run to a 100/30 Victron which is networked to the 250/100 controller and a Victron BMV 712 battery monitor.
Current battery bank is 8 6 volt Trojan t-105 golf cart batteries in series/parallel for a 12 volt system, we will be upgrading to a Battleborn Lithium bank this summer.
Our cabin is mostly 12 volt system 12 volt Unique appliances solar fridge, 12 volt marine water pump(recommended by forum member Downeast) pumping from 2 300 gallon tanks that are spring fed, the water heater is a propane on demand from Precision temp, it has a 12 volt control system and a 12 volt power venter. All lights are 12 volt led from 12 volt monster.
we do have an inverter to run an oxygen concentrator for Grandma, she needs night time O2, but we only run it as needed at night.
Heat is by an empire DV-35 with a battery operated programmable thermostat, we run it at 42 degrees all week to prevent freeze ups, and then it kicks up to 65 at noon on Friday to have it comfortable when we arrive Friday night, then I get the wood stove going and the propane heater drops back to 42.
If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer anything I can.