View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #4
ApS

Default The Lakes Region Airpark

Here's another site describing the airport's more technical points: http://www.fltplan.com/AirportInformation/69NH.htm
(The address and telephone numbers are no longer attended to).

About fifteen years ago, I had an occasion to speak with Ralph "Merwin" Horn again.

At the time, however, he was distracted by a recurring problem with the new airport beacon light. Ralph was in the process of packaging up the remains — again — to send in under warrantee when I arrived.

The beacon had been a good "advertisement/reminder" for the airport, and was printed on thousands of maps of Lake Winnipesaukee. (Even unlighted during the daytime it is still tall enough to be a landmark).

Included with the beacon, an entire airport lighting system was provided at no cost to the airport some time in the '80s. A gift from the Wolfeboro civic organizations Rotarians and Masons, the beacon's lenses kept breaking — the pieces falling to the ground. A Town of Wolfeboro volunteer would climb to the very top to replace the lenses each time. The beacon (and all the airport lighting) stopped operating altogether after his death.

In the hour I spent visiting in the hanger and examining the glass fragments, my first inclination was that the light was being "shot out" by somebody. Ralph never mentioned the possibility of such an outrage and my own suspicions stayed to myself.

Ralph spoke proudly of the Lakes Region, and never spoke badly about individuals (except for pilots doing bad fly-things at the airport). A very hard worker, and keeping very long and unsteady hours into his later years, he remains today my favorite "archetype" of a native Granite-Stater.

His ashes were spread over the airport in 1997. (Eleanor's ashes had preceded his by a few years).

In the end, both had "given their everything" to the Lakes Region Airpark of Wolfeboro.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: