View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
Poor Richard

Default This is my boat maintenance thread

A few years ago I bought a 1987 Sea Ray Weekender 268 for reasonably short money. The boat was in fantastic shape and was clearly well-cared for its entire life.

The story was that the original owners had passed on and the boat went into storage for many years until the daughter and her husband purchased it from the estate of the daughter's parents. The daughter and her husband sent the boat to a marina for assessment and repairs. The nature of the repairs included a new Alpha outdrive as well as replacing the 454 shortblock, bellows, cables etc.

After a couple years of ownership, the couple discovered this isn't the boat for them and they put it up for sale.

As a result of impeccable timing, I found the sale ad, spoke with the husband and eventually agreed on a sale price. I was quite excited about the work that was recently performed on my new boat and that would allow me to concentrate on other things that required attention...the teak, the need for scrubbing and waxing the gel coat and the types of items that could otherwise be taken care of on the water for the most part.

One small thing that bugged me, though, was knowing the Alpha drive wasn't exactly up to the task of handling the Big Block power out of the hole and with that, I could never feel safe hitting the throttle without the potential of stripping the Alpha gearbox. A detail I was willing to live with.

The purchase of my boat was made late enough in the season to where we enjoyed it only twice then proceeded to winterize it. That following spring is where my joy of boating would immediately be challenged.

Our maiden voyage for (what was supposed to be) an amazing season, we splashed into Alton Bay in early May on an overcast but otherwise perfect day. We blasted across the lake to Meredith for lunch then up to Moultonboro for sight-seeing before heading back. For much of the day I noticed that the temp gauge would spike after coming off plane but it was manageable if I slowly backed off the throttle. First thought was the impeller was degrading...even though it didn't make much sense considering the extensive parts list prior to my purchase.

About 6hrs after launching, we made our way from lunch in Meredith up to Moultonboro. As we circled out of Moutonboro I decided to go WOT for the first time just to experience full song of the Big Block. This lasted all of 3 minutes and act of going WOT would prove to be something that uncovered a very big issue, and likely the source of my temp spike.

As we made our way back toward Downing's Landing, a loud tapping slowly developed. It could have been anything...I was praying for a circulating pump or power steering pump or alternator, anything. However, as I lifted the engine cover I knew....I just knew the answer and my answer was going to cost many thousands of dollars. My new short block was grinding itself to death due to what was later found to be a blown head gasket and water intrusion to the oil (mechanic not torquing any of the fasteners properly).

Ugh!

After some forum posts and a few private messages, I discovered I was cultivating a new friendship with someone who couldn't be more valuable with their guidance. I also found I got along very well with this person and we shared laughs in a lot of the same things. Anyway, certainly a great person with a lot of information to offer and a refreshing new face that I quickly learned to call "friend".

Engine #2 was located in a town near me. I saw it run on an engine stand in front of me prior to purchase and all seemed well. It was crusty and old but it burned gas and made power. Installed that engine toward the end of the season and chose to fire it up that following spring rather than fire and winterize right away.

Come that spring, I complete all the details of the engine install for #2 and proceed to turn the key for the first time....crank, crank, crank, crank.....crank, crank, crank, backfire through the carb.

I cannot explain in words what took place but this no starting issue was eventually traced to an intake valve on cylinder 5 was stuck open so badly that it required a hammer and punch in order for it to be completely removed from the head. This, to say the least, was frustrating. Engine #2 had to be removed for the ensuing head work as much of the hardware would clearly require some torch work. The silver lining here is that a 454 with Alpha drive can be removed from my boat in 40-45 minutes with an extra hand.

After correcting all the crusty hardware, lapping valves/ head rebuild and reinstalling the engine once again, the joys of Engine #2 would be short lived as I would soon discover considerable blow-by taking place and eventually a spark issue developed that remains undiagnosed.

Ugh! Another season passes.

And so I gave up. I gave up on fighting this old technology. I gave up on worrying about the Alpha drive blowing up (if I ever did get an engine to run properly). I gave up on putting my energy toward fighting. Clearly my boat needs something...maybe a new captain? Maybe I should scuttle it on the Witches? Maybe I am simply not to enjoy this kind of family time?

BAH! Horse puckey!

I looked to my friend for the next steps. I talked with him about what I'd really want to do, which was to go with fuel injection and at least a Bravo...but this would mean a transom assy because the Alpha certainly wouldn't take the extra 50hp over the carb'ed 454 and even a built 350 might present some issues. Ultimately a 350 was not the desirable route for a few reasons.

As I began to peruse sale ads, I eventually found an engine and outdrive combo that fit the bill...a fuel injected big block and Bravo III outdrive with transom assy. Everything was matched serial numbers, the seller knows the history and it's all with ~400hrs on it.

Took a drive to CT, met the seller and saw the entire package all winterized and wrapped on a skid...all removed at the marina due to hull failure.

After some back-and-forth on pricing, we settled on a good place for both of us and I went back down to CT and scooped up my fuelie big block and transom assy.

This season will be the biggest project yet as I look to prepare the transom to accept the Bravo then install an engine that was made 12 years after the boat was produced and make it all work as intended.

The intent of this thread is to capture my story as a DIY boat owner. To provide information as I learn it and to hopefully show someone that boats aren't scary, they're just a gigantic pain in the ass that is totally worth the price of admission provided there is enough love and patience.

This is my boat maintenance thread...
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poor Richard For This Useful Post: