View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #23
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Dave -

I too boat and am very comfortable navigating at night -- but what I do not understand is why MP will not allow me to run (what I call) my anchor light in addition to my pole 360.

There has been some controversy here already about the term I use -- what I am referring to is a transom mounted white light which is visible roughly 160-180 deg from the stern view and tends to light up my stern & swim platform.

I am a HUGE fan of being able to make sure no one runs up my stern as we have seen in the past. In fact, legal or not - when leaving firework displays (at headway speed or so) I will always run my "blue" under platform lights until the crowd has dispersed. MP has never hassled me for that - yet.

And as for me, having a bright white at the waterline in addition to higher up (over the Bimi) 360 where they tend to blend in with shore lights is a plus -- so one would think -- but not MP ..... and thus did not have one installed on this boat for the first time in a long list of boats I have owned.

You cannot legally have more than one light visible from behind. Simple fix would be to block the tall all-around light so that it is only visible from 112.5° on the port side through dead ahead to 112.5° on the starboard side (same as red and green lights). Then ensure that the stern white light can only be seen 67.5 degrees both sides off-center and is visible 2 nautical miles away.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote