View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #15
Rich

If there are 'new' laws, or interpretations of existing laws, I'd like to be aware of them, as we know "ignorance is no excuse".

The only law I know of has been referenced in other threads, basically "no straddling of the bow, no sitting on the gunnels or on the transom".

How this gets interpreted into "no sitting on the bow area" and now "no sitting on aft facing seats" is beyond me, unless it's considered a general 'unsafe practice'.

Perhaps the MP was offering a 'safety warning', which I'm always happy to receive, as we can all learn something, telling the owner of a particular boat that what the MP observed may not be safe for the particular boat and situation.

For example, having someone sitting on the bow area of a small 21 ft boat, may be a lot different than someone sitting on the bow area of a 42 ft boat.

I've also heard stories that people have been warned (vs cited) about not standing on a swim platform when pulling into a slip, when trying to tie up a boat at a slip.

If there are laws about these things, we should all know about them. Of course, if it's a safety recommendation, then that's a different story, but it's good to learn safety first!

So far most have only been able to cite:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../270-d-mrg.htm

RSA 270-D:7 prohibiting the riding the gunwale of a boat or straddling its bow or transom

Perhaps the general 'careless and negligent operation' rule could be cited, but could this be open to interpretation depending on the circumstances including the particular boat:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...0/270-29-a.htm

270:29-a Careless and Negligent Operation of Boats. – Any person who shall operate a power boat upon any waters of the state in a careless and negligent manner or so that the lives and safety of the public are endangered shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

I'm a bit surprised that only 'power boats' are mentioned in the above RSA, but I'm not a lawyer, nor a legislator.

IMHO, I'd like to see more people stopped when dragging their kids on a tube behind the boat when going through a busy narrow channel, but that's my opinion of an unsafe practice.

I'd like to understand and learn here. I fully support the MP and what they do!