View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #14
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default A little tease from the book.. Chapter 3

"The Devil and General Mouton"

"It was, so the story goes, a natural distaste for his mercantile ventures, and the necessity for earning his money slowly, through trade, that led him in an evil hour to give vent to a declaration of willingness to sell his soul for sudden and unbounded wealth. Late that night, alone by his fireside, with his counting-box on his knee and the few gold coins resulting from a late venture clinking within, Johnathan (Moulton), probably mindful only of the color of the gold and the sound of its music, reached down to his feet for his rum, and looked up to find standing beside him, clothed in velvet, a man only whose cloven hoof identified him. Not even his ruffles nor collar were sooted, though surely he had come down the chimney and through the fire.

He spoke first, "Is it a bargin, General?" he asked. "Speak quickly, for in fifteen minuets I am due in Porstmouth."

"Winnipesaukee, A Potpourri" by E Palmer Clarke 1935

I'll leave the rest of the story for the winner to report...

I will warn that the rest of the story will have FLL, repeating his story on Judd Gregg and the lottery ticket!!! (This may actually be proof that Less is right!")

SteveA