View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 02:46 AM   #190
ApS

Question For Barber's Pole—Breakwaters ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
APS,
In your opinion, are the waves in the Barber’s Pole area bigger/more damaging than those on the Broads side of Rattlesnake?
Last weekend they were certainly not but as somebody who spends more time in that area I would like to know your opinion.
I love Rattlesnake Island.

If I were to buy there, I'd want to be right on the "nose" of the storm; unfortunately, that NNE lot is washing into the lake, especially the Broads-side of that property. That lot has the double-advantage of the cleanest air on the lake, with no roiling of bottom sediments being drawn into a pipeline for water.

Sailing is tricky because of katabatic winds that can swirl backwards at the shoreline, and can draw you in—against a boulder-strewn shoreline.

Wakes in The Broads are subject to self-cancelling against other wakes and wind-driven waves.

Waves are fierce, sometimes, producing water blown across two breakwaters at a time. Someday, the full length of Rattlesnake—Broads-side—will be lined with breakwaters.

I'd support the lining—along both sides—of Barber's Pole, with breakwaters paid for by SBONH. It's so rewarding—to give BP the shirt off someone else's back—I feel so "progressive".

If what you're really asking, is that faster is better, I'd have to go with breakwaters for BP. Unless you allow only pontoon boats through there, there are too many different hull shapes to support "faster".

If you've ever motored in a canal, you'd see that BP has the double-whammy of channel waters, which respond to boat displacement with a rise in a small highly-localized "tide"—and then gets struck with wakes that can damage: more boats simultaneously, equals a greater effect against the shoreline.

The dredging of individual boat slips would help boat owners, but shoreline beaches will still find toddlers subject to being knocked over.