View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
jkjoshuatree

Talking 3rd Generation

My grandparents meet at a dance in Centre Harbor (both from Boston originally). They were married a few years later, had my aunt and then my dad.

The four of them used to take the train from North Station to the Weirs, get off the train with all their luggage and then walk the tracks into Meredith looking for a place to rent. When my dad realized there were houses out on the islands he could see from the shore, he knew he'd found paradise.

Twenty some odd years later (when he was 35) he bought our place on Bear Island (two months after I was born-think he bought it for me?) and I've been coming here ever since.

And last year I asked my wife to marry me in Centre Harbor. Every time we drive through there I jokingly ask her if I've ever told her that my grandparents met here. I tend to repeat my stories sometimes and now this is running joke with us.

We were married in Meredith at Church Landing and are in the infancy stages of buying a place of our own. Actually we want to buy land and then build a log cabin (my dream since I was little).

As long as I can go to Winni I don't care if I have to sleep in a lean-to.