View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #26
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Some of the most expen$ive boating rescues may already be billed to insurance companies, but I read too seldom of billings that get paid by individuals.

1) We'd previously covered this topic. It's a bit mean-spirited to bring it up again to penalize against many who cannot afford more gasoline or "more boat". Why penalize the many paddlers who peaceably boat on NH's quieter lakes, ponds and streams to benefit some perceived increase of rescues on "the lake"?

3) Vermont, which has many more raging rivers and streams than NH (and many-more rescues), doesn't require registration for paddlers.

4) What happens to the frequently-cited Coast Guard statistics when the number of "registered boats" in NH doubles or triples?

Those returning to "the lake"—or those distant from "the lake"—shouldn't be penalized.

5) Canoes with a trolling motor require registration! I think that's wrong as well—if for no other reason than the dirtier environment that petroleum-fueled craft leave behind.

What laws would those be?

Please don't answer.

Y'know, that's not quite full disclosure when your other boat can't possibly fit beneath Wolfeboro's bridge.

You're OK with the "There-are-Two-Americas" meme?

1) My canoe/kayak registrations would have an answering machine at the listed number in a distant state, and I doubt NH would send a postcard about a found kayak anyway.

2) With 45-minute NHMP response times considered reasonable, any "rescue" should be taken out of the issue.

To expand on a previous kayaking quote by jrc: "Because two wrongs don't make a right?"
You are a piece of work, APS- you cobble together posts and respond to little bits as you see fit. Well two can play your game:

1. How it is mean spirited to ask you to contribute to the patrolling of this great lake we all love- you are using the same 150' diameter at any given time that I am. I am sorry if you can't scrape together $11 to register your boat, you may need to give up one of your homes. Do you really believe that the only rescues that occur in this state are for powerboats and on lakes?

3. you skipped 2 so I will as well. Vermont?? - well 2 wrongs don't make a right

4. What are you talking about, this statement makes no sense and I guarantee if you re-read you can't make sense of it either. Confused- yes I am.

5. This is a classic- so basically you are calling a boat registration an environmental impact fee. So when I build my 45 MPH solar/hybrid/wind turbine powered 50' boat I will not need to register it because I am creating no emmissions? Yeah, that makes sense.

More laws?, no only one more virtually enenforceable law that will take away from the enforcement of better thought out rules such as the 150' rule.

Can your boat fit under the Wolfeboro Bridge?

What is a meme? I certainly have no issue with 2 Americas theme- those that have worked their a@@ off to achieve what they have and those who free-load off of them. Kind of like the unregistered boats on this lake freeloading off the polluting powerboats. If you are so concerned about carbon footprints, you can do your share in reducing them by stopping your treks between here and Florida.

Regarding the NHMP and rescues:
1. My boat is registered in NH, with an NH address. The point was to know who to look for. You think if a kayak is found floating in the middle of the broads with any gear on board that the MP will send a postcard. Thankfully they will expend the same hard work and manpower trying to rescue an unappreciative ahem "person" such as you as they would any one else.

2. I will take a 45 minute response time over no response. We boat on a 44000 acre lake, not your bath tub. But of course with more boats registered, perhaps we could hire 2 or 3 times as many MP officers (please see your #4 below they are you surmised #s). If you are wearing the PFD you should be, 45 minutes most certainly be timely enough for a rescue.

Finally, I apologize to our webmaster Don for getting sucked in here because again 2 wrongs don't make a right (yes I am admitting I am wrong APS, have you ever??)
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote