View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
I've had "big fast" boats that were traveling at least 50 mph come within 60 or 70 feet of me, before they even noticed me. And THAT'S not an exageration.

Here's my honest answer: I am, at times.

I'm very concerned for my safety when a boat traveling at a high speed is heading directly at me and they apparently aren't paying enough attention to even see me until they get very close. And many other paddlers share my fear and concern. Most of my paddling friends will not even paddle on Winni - because of the high speeds of powerboats (their reason, not mine).
I don't doubt that there are some hairy times out there in a kayak. "Because of the high speed". Scantly a paragraph without that term. I'd have to admit, I would definitely pay more attention to large fast boats if in a kayak than I would a smaller boat doing 25. But regardless of speed issues, in canoes and whatever the paddle boat, I Never ventured out where I would be in direct contact with powerboats in their element, NEVER. Your friends may be indirectly smart by not paddling there, I wouldn't have done it thirty years ago, let alone now. And no, speed isn't my first thought.

Yes, I now know all about your Sea Kayak and it's tremendous capabilities in rough water etc.. We have some over here as well as regular old fashioned kayaks. Even in the bay here, which is quite a large bay, the visibility of boats like yours can be restricting due to sun, waves, whatever. Most people tend to stay closer to shore in such vessels. I do note that there are some younger paddlers that go right up the middle, some I've even seen out on the big lake itself. If you're not somewhat skittery in a kayak in open water on a congested day, you're most certainly not paying attention. Heck, my neck is practically on ball bearings on weekends as it is, why the heck would I want to be a foot above water and paddling through the maze?