View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
VtSteve

[QUOTE=4Fun;74056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post

Don't count on it, I see it day in and day out, boaters in boats of all kinds cutting people off, going to close, failing to stay to the right, or even turning left into another boater's path. If every single GFBL boat on this lake vanished overnight, I'd still be facing 100% of the problems I have today.

QUOTE]

VtSteve, Do you really have any problems on the water? I have been boating on Winni for 20 years. and NEVER have had a close call. Have I needed to change course, avoid a bonehead, be alert, yes. But never a real close call. These things are just blown out of proportion to get a group of boaters off the lake.

People need to realize a crowded lake requires ALL parties to be alert and yes change course to avoid morons even if it isn't your fault. I know it can be frustrating but just drive defensively and enjoy the water. I just assume all the other boaters are on a collision course and adjust accordingly.

The stories of big fast boats going 50+MPH 20' away from other boats is something I have never seen and I think is quite exaggerated.

So here is an honest question Who is really scared out there??
I did not say "close call", which is considerably different from boats being "too close". I've never had a close call myself. I have noticed a decidedly different boating environment nowadays than in the 90's, certainly the 80's. Winni was pretty congested on weekends in the 70's, certainly even more so in the 80's. There's far more congestion now than ever. Perhaps growing up on Winni was great training. I drive defensively as always, but even more aware to whatever's out there.

Safe means a lot of things to a lot of people. Those on Bear Island seemed to be particularly outspoken early on in this issue. As far back as I can remember, which is a lot more than 20 years, navigating around Bear's smaller channels was an activity requiring attention. Particularly the area between Bear and say, Shep's. Very busy way, way back. Now that boats do 90 mph through NWZ's, perhaps a bit trickier still Yes, be careful, and always assume that other boaters are dumber than snot, at least until you know them. I'm a bit overcautious myself.

As for the GFBL crowd? I think as a group, simply based on my personal experience, they are for the most part responsible boaters. As with any activity, there's always a few standout idiots. But in actuality, I think their communities do a far better job of self policing than other crafts. Many of those boat owners know one another, and truly love their boats and their lifestyles. If they follow the rules and generally are safe boaters, I don't judge them or their choices. For the most part, I wish the Captain Boneheads in smaller boats had have the knowledge and drove half as safe. I've never had one of those performance boats come close to me at all. But I've had many smaller boats do so, and even flip me the bird if I motioned to them.

I feel safer in open water than in bays, which would run counter to the speed limits crowd. In general, much more enforcement is needed all around.