View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I disagree. The proponents got exactly what they wished for...the GFBLs will no longer be "allowed" on the lake.
Oh, SOME of us will still be there; they're not going to get rid of my wife and I that easily!! It's funny, our boat makes just as much noise at 45mph as it does at 60mph!! The only difference will be it will take longer for me to be out of their earshot; they'll just have to listen to me a little bit longer than usual!

Seriously, our habits (referring to my wife and I), for the most part, will not change. Yeah, I'll have to forego the occasional exhilarating speed run in the Broads or any larger area (Alton Bay, Paugus Bay, Meredith Bay) when the traffic is light. But that's not the reason we bought a performance boat (yes, it's a PERFORMANCE BOAT, not a go-fast/be-loud!). We bought this boat because we liked the looks and the styling but mostly, we liked the ride. It's a longer, heavier boat and that equates to a smoother ride.

I'm SURE most of you lake regulars know how rough the water can be, especially in the Broads, in an 18-20 ft boat on a busy summer day. A small boat takes a real pounding as do its' occupants and we got tired of it. So we went bigger and heavier with a performance boat. How big? Not very. We went from a 21 ft bowrider (Baja) to a 25 ft (also a Baja); not exactly what most people think of when they see or hear comments about "GFBL" boats but it's still considered a performance boat. I'll bet alot of people think a minimum of 30 ft and larger when they think of performance boats but that's not always the case.

Finally, one last pet peeve. It's a PERFORMANCE BOAT, not a "cigarette" boat or a "go-fast/be-loud" boat. Cigarette is a brand name, just like Baja, Formula, Fountain, Nor-Tech, OuterLimits, etc. etc. etc. are all BRANDS. As for the "GFBL" name, any boat can go fast, some just go faster than others and with a 25mph night-time speed limit next year, anyone going 30mph will be going fast! As for being loud, they all make noise, some are just louder than others. Let us have switchable exhausts and I, for one, would be more than happy to use it at night when I'm in a situation where silence would be golden!