Thread: Ice-Out 2007
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #137
Merrymeeting

We drove up through Farmington on the Kings Highway (Rt. 153). Many, many areas where the side of the road has been washed away, with asphalt undermined in many areas. Lake level is similar to what it was last May, namely very high.

There is water everywhere, with snow patches still in evidence in the woods and hillsides. The ice pack on Merrymeeting is still pretty solid. which is surprising as we usually track the same or a bit ahead of the big lake. My son almost stepped out on it last night (until I yelled). But it may have supported him. Very slushy on top, but like icebergs, fairly solid below.

I sat on my dock at 6 PM last night, and it was wonderful! Full sunshine (I DO remember what it looks like!) and total silence. The seasons at the lake, despite the weather, are still wonderful.

Most surprising to me is that the open areas are skimmed over with a new layer of ¼” ice this morning, despite temps now in the 50’s and no lower than 38 last night. With water temps 38-39, can any of the weather experts explain how this can happen?

I still hope the weather helps get it all out this weekend.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote