Thread: Snowshoes
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
jmen24

As mentioned do your homework, get yourself sized for the shoes, different brands will allows for smaller sized shoes based on weight (gone are the days of bigger is better, my runners are about 18" long). Then try them out, they have to feel correct or you will hate walking in them. I would recommend going into stores that hire knowledgable folks in the sport (Not really LL bean or walmart/ try REI, EMS or local ski shop that DEALS in snowshoes, different than having them for sale) and have them answer your questions, then go out and find the best deal. EDIT: LL Bean and Walmart are quite fine for purchasing your shoes, but you really want to be fitted properly for your weight. The sky is the limit when it comes to cost, but do not spend alot at first, get into it and see how serious you are.

Also while you are shopping pick up a pair a Gators to go with the shoes for you and your wife (and depending on the age of your children, them too, only if they are above 8 or so), that way you and wife can wear lighter weight clothing. Keep the young kids in the snow pants, it took my 4 year old daughter half the season to get used to the fact that she could not just turn around the first year.

If you have never done this before I will offer one more piece of advice even with the gators on, do not wear jeans or any other cotton clothing, up or down, you will be very cold before long from snow or sweat. If you are breaking trail you WILL get snow thrown up your back, but a decent jacket and a blend pant with LJ's under you will be very comfortable and will be light enough to constantly help dig the kids out of the snow.

One of the best family activities you can do, have fun.

Last edited by jmen24; 11-20-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Clarification
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote