Thread: The MountCam
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
CanisLupusArctos

This has been in the works since last year, when they asked me if I thought it was technologically possible. I said yes because I knew it was, but I didn't know how. Then they wanted to know how much a camera would cost. They were OK with the prices, so the problem of the winter then became "how to get a mobile broadband network on board." A laptop would've been easy because it can accept the USB antenna. But all the good network cameras (like Stardot Netcam) don't have a USB port. They need to plug into an internet outlet. I was surprised at how hard it was to find information on mobile broadband routers and networks, but I guess most people who use the service are only on laptops because of their portability.

Right around the time of the Shakedown Cruise I learned that IG was experimenting with mobile connectivity on Rattlesnake. I was so happy! She has brought those experiments to the MOUNT and erased my winter headaches. She rode around the lake on a recent cruise and tested the internet connectivity. This next step, the webcam test, is the most exciting yet!

Assuming all goes well, The final step is getting the cam itself. All along I've been encouraging them to go for the Netcam XL - seems to be the best scenic cam out there. They do want the capability to show the beauty of sunset-time so they can promote their evening cruises, and I think the Netcam XL's auto-iris lens would be good for that, as well as providing great scenic views in the daytime.

The cam will most likely be somewhere on or near the wheelhouse, since the owners have expressed interest in having the crew be able to rotate it in order to change the view. My only concern was lightning, but the captains seemed pretty cool about that when I asked them. They said the other electronics all survive lightning storms, so the camera would just be another thing on the wheelhouse roof, if that's where it ends up. Suggestions, anyone?

A time lapse of each cruise (past 3-hours, like the WeatherCam) is also a possibility and the owners seemed to like that idea. Thoughts anyone?

On behalf of many posts I've read here, I suggested that it be kept running in the winter as a Center Harbor cam, either looking out on the water or toward shore... but that's a minor detail right now. The main goal is to get it set up and see what the reception is.

If anyone has a better camera recommendation or any other suggestions that aren't controversial enough to slow down this process , speak up. IG's and my only goal is to help steer the MOUNT's people to the setup that best accomplishes their goals.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote