View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #12
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Good stuff!! I wish high school students were taught about the sacrifices the WWII generation made for protecting the world from tyranny. I talked with a middle school history teacher recently and she said her students think we are the bad guys and we are an illegitimate country. Sad.
Every school district is different. The movie, "Saving Private Ryan", is still being viewed in many classrooms. Obviously, some instructional setup would be prudent. Many of today's high school students were born 60 years before D-Day. They can barely fathom the hardships of that event, let alone earning $1.00/hr as a family breadwinner. Never-the-less, I think the movie makes its point.

Maybe your history teacher/friend is confusing appreciation for the people/families who sacrificed their lives during WWII for the fact that students don't even have to stand for the pledge of allegiance, or even acknowledge the reciting of it- all they are required to do is be respectfully quiet.

Maybe today's immigration issue is a factor!?!?

Whatever! I still have faith that most kids will eventually grow up, and become responsible citizens. Their biggest problem is that they will have do deal with people just like them (sound familiar?).
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote