View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #315
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I think you're crossing a line here with your posts about the police department, the officers' benefits, etc.

Yes, there's 12 full-time officers but there's an officer at the station 24/7. Having staff sufficient to cover that kind of schedule and not collecting overtime is part of the justification for the number of full-time officers. Considering the time spent doing paperwork, time spent in court, dealing with regular patrol, school resource officer duties, etc., having 12 full-time officers in a town of 5,035 resident (year-round only), and with a population increase of over 12% since year 2000, it makes sense. There's 2.38 officers per 1,000 residents; the US average is 3.00 officers per 1,000 residents. [SOURCE]

But stats aside...

These men and women you're complaining about making an income off your tax dollar are still residents in your community, for the most part... They're dad or mom, husband or wife, sister or brother, son or daughter - parts of our families here in the area. Just because a judge/jury made some bad decisions - or whatever - don't give the men and women who are simply doing their job a load of grief. They don't deserve it.

They don't make the laws; their job is to enforce the laws.

FYI - a police officer in NH makes about $35,000 (average experience) (about $18/hr), and their benefits are no different than any other town employee's benefits, unless they're part of a union (not the case in M'Boro). [SOURCE] They get NH state retirement, FICA, health insurance (if they chose to take it), etc.

So, think about it... $18/hr to put your life on the line - to serve and protect the citizens of your town... Would you do it?

If you begrudge them their income, perhaps you should change profession.
I don't want to derail this thread BUT, you're wrong. First, their salaries are public record. Second, many in small towns complain about high taxes. So when they decide to check "YES" on budget items they have no one to blame but themselves. No one is begruding anyone their pay, but when you assign a dollar figure to that headcount, and if you did that at the ballot, people would be a little more reluctant to check the yes box.

Stats? So you want to use a national average for a small New England town that goes dormant in the winter? Let's compare crimes rates in Detroit, Cleveland, Atlanta, etc.

Yankees want big town benefits but these small mini-mob towns don't have enough economy of scale. This is why NH and ME struggle to tackle their funding issues.

FYI, I have served on a town budget board so step down from the soap box honey, I've heard it all.

Carry on.
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post: