View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Some things about Bears

First lets start one some things about bears...

--- first they are just fun to watch at a distance.... ok sorry had to sneak that in their...

--- second, their territory is incredibly big. Having watched enough PBS specials Bears will roam quite a bit...

--- as a normal rule they want to stay the hell away from people, hence why you don't see them very often.

--- when people start to see them more often in an area something is wrong!!!!

So what is wrong out on the neck.... Well if you haven't noticed over say the last 10 years, there has been a lot of development, taking away natural habitat where these guys have normally hung out... Unfortunately now that the habitat is gone, the bears need places to forage and get food, unfortunately that means they probably need to relocate. Unfortunately they are stubborn creatures, so they don't want to... as long as bird feeders, and trash bins are accessible they will stick around and not find new territory. Now as concerned people what do we need to worry about...

If these guys start consistently making a visit to your yard, I might be concerned...if you have neighbors that just don't seem to understand and continue to put bird feeder out or leave there trash accessible... well I would speak to them... bottom line is this, once the bears know where a meal ticket is they will keep coming back for more... once they get to used to being in close proximity to humans we are screwed....

At that point, you call the game warden... and let them take care of the now some what domesticated wild animal.

The dumpsters for the Marina's are a huge concern of mine for attracting wildlife.... Quayside and Harilla both have dumpsters for their members... raccoons I know are always in them, it wouldn't surprise me if bears get to them once in a while either....