View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #99
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Question: Are unpowered sail boats such as Sunfish types required to be registered?

If so then kayaks should be subject to the same rules
Technically a sun fish is supposed to be registered, as I read the law. Any sailboat over 12" (if I remember correctly) and a sunfish is 13'9". This is down from 16ft back in the day that my buddy and I used to race a Hobie 16 and that did not need to be registered.
My 2 cents with this, Why can't they do a card like hikers do? If you get rescued and have the card you are taken care of, if you didn't pay for the card, you have to pay for the rescue efforts. (I understand its not as simple as that and there are other things that go on)
I do understand that there are places that kayakers are putting in and taking parking spots from boaters that are paying for registration fees. This way people that actually use ramps and such have to pay, people that just have kayaks for in front of their house and never transport them don't have to pay. And for someone like myself and my father-in-law who have multiple kayaks (he builds wooden ones) we don't have to pay $200 dollars for boats that we are only using one at a time anyway.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote