Thread: Dock Damage
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 05:53 AM   #19
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by welch-time View Post
What about using the dock to lever the block back into position? Just lower the dock until the legs are still a few inches above the lake bottom, then attaching a cable to the far end and using the dock as a lever to pull it back into position.
I would not do it that way. The amount of stress you could put on the dock, because of the leverage, could damage the dock itself. The aluminum docks are built to carry the weight vertically but they are substantially weaker horizontally.

I have two aluminum docks and cables to keep them from swinging while in the air during the winter, as described by Dave M. above. The first winter I did not connect the cables to the 47 foot dock because I was not aware of what purpose they served. That was a mistake because the stress of moving side to side caused two of the welds on cross members to break. Lesson learned.

It was difficult to locate someone to make the repairs with a portable aluminum welder (TIG, MIG) or a welder that could operate from a truck 75 feet away.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote