Thread: Electric PWC's
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 09:49 AM   #29
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Safety's an issue, for sure, but I think logistics are the bigger limitation. Some examples:

* What percentage of homeowner docks has easy access to power? Only one or two of 50+ spaces in our association (docks and beach poles) have power access without using lots of extension cords.

* The range on these makes going for extended outings questionable. Getting from Hanson Cove to Wolfeboro is 45 minutes one-way. These linked above have 2 hours estimated run time.

* 3/4 of the time I take my machine out, I need to refill—impossible to do with electric.

* I want to ride when I want to ride, not when my craft is charged.

* These are only 2-seaters, which changes how they're defined as watercraft AND I'm confident the 2 hours run time is reduced with a second passenger.

* Cost. $15k gets you a 2-seater, 2-hour, 55mph max machine without boarding ladder. $25k for the one they show in the ads. *vomit*

I don't see, at least in the near term, there being enough electric practicality and buy-in to achieve economy of scale.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes--these are great points. The equation that makes EVs decent is the combination of run time, cost, charging requirements. Obviously, we are there on cars of about $40K or more, and it looks like pickup trucks and more are coming this Spring (Ford Lightning!). But the resistance of moving a boat through water is a lot tougher.

I agree 2 hours is cutting it close. I might need 3 hours to pull the trigger. On the 55mph max, you seem to suggest that's weak. One great thing about EVs is the instant torque--they are much quicker off the line than even the fastest gas cars. So the sensation of speed is amazing. I expect PWCs to be the same.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote