View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #71
elchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Will the real "Chase" standup please.
I have no relatives in Wolfeboro. Just a coincidence. My last name is pretty common in these parts. But he does write a nice letter, and I agree with him on almost every point. Thanks for the link. You make my job much easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Whomever it is, does not matter.
Agreed. Facts are facts, no matter who speaks them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmeeee View Post
The polls taken here would disagree with you.
Again, there have been no "polls" taken here. Just because you guys call something a "poll" and the website's software titles it a "poll" does not make it so. Who knows who was counted here and how many times? Who knows the width and depth of the audience it reached? There are rules for poll validity, and it is virtually impossible to strictly enforce those rules on a website where people choose to or are asked to participate. ARG is a legitimate polling agency that follows polling rules to the letter, and their results have a scientifically proven statistical accuracy. We know their results are correct within the tolerance they state. So their findings that 83% of Granite Staters want the 45/25 Speed Limit might be off by 3% either way...it might only be 80% or it might by 86%, but we know that the vast vast vast majority is in favor. As to the "7", there are really only about 7 of you making all the noise on these threads (which should more accurately be called the "Anti Speed Limit" threads). Several of you hang online all day every day and post every five minutes, so it seems there are many more, but the reality is that all the recruiting you do has only brought your numbers up to 7 or so. There are far fewer supporters weighing in here...you made sure of that by harassing and bullying. But we know there are far more of us than you in the "silent majority". ARG proved that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmeeee View Post
What does this have to do with our speed limit?
Exactly...I'm chastised every time I get off topic...please respect the forum rules if you are going to enforce them on me.

Quote:
El has written a splendid post recently.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Honestly this is as well stated as you have ever made your point here on this forum...I think the post is great ...
Thanks

Quote:
El called SL opponents Felons for God's sake.
I called them "scofflaws" and asked how many were felons. I know at least one is a felon because he pm'd to tell me so. And he did that before I asked about the rest, leading to my question, not responding to it. Surprised he didn't tell me how many guns he owns. We all know several of you are scofflaws because they brag about violating our laws. There is no sin in calling a spade a spade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Funny ...Just can't recall someone with the last name of Chase.
And I don't remember anyone named Broadhopper, but I wouldn't term that "funny". What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Most of the accidents that have occured were not even high speed related, and most were alcohol related.
Why do you all seem to need to make these two things mutually exclusive. The boats were obviously going too fast. Just because a driver of a boat that is going too fast happens to be drunk does not make his speed suddenly appropriate. Littlefield said he was going to 28MPH. That is how that "minimum" number was established. But that does not mean he was really only going 28MPH. How many times has a cop asked you if you knew how fast you were going and you said 50 when you were really going 70? Does that make it so that your speed was really only 50 because you said so? Was Littlefield going to admit if he was going 50? And if he was really that drunk (which a jury did not find) that he was not aware of a 21-ft boat in his path, do you really think he was aware of his exact speed? Come on. His 15000 boat took airborne 7 feet high and flew almost fifty feet in the air when it hit Hartman's. Don't even try to convince this was not a "hi speed accident". That just sounds silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
If speed were an issue that warranted a new law
We're not talking about a "new" law anymore. We are talking about the status quo. The SL is the law and the question now is "Why let a law that is working so well sunset?". That is a huge difference over challenging the enactment of a new law.

Quote:
This just needs to sunset, with no relevant data to support a continuation
You have it backwards. Where is the relevant data that justifies sunseting a law? The people who fought for the law are loving it.. why would the legislature let a working law sunset in an election year? Why would they abandon their constituents...who vote... and side with a small fraction ...who don't vote? Imagine someone is killed the summer after they sunset this law after two years of incident-free boating...imagine the outrage. What legislator is going to take that chance?

Quote:
just a waste of taxpayer $$.
But you guys say that the MP is not bothering with it. Where is the money being wasted? Make up your minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
My wife and I have worked hard for what we have!! Get down off your high horse!
If the shoe doesn't fit, why are you putting it on?

Quote:
your lies
Who's on the high horse? I'm a devout Catholic and cannot recall the last time I lied. I just apparently see things differently than you. But I don't call you a liar. You should be more careful with your name calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Of the SL been wine and dining the legislature in his fancy resort. He even took them all out on a boat ride when there were two poker runs taking place. So who are the 'fat cats' now?
What the #$%*& is this supposed to mean? Is it even English? Who are you talking about? I'd say maybe you were typing too fast, but there might have been alcohol involved, and we know one can't type too fast when drinking, under the rules of mutual exclusivity explained above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
the Littlefield one and the one on Parker Island were alcohol related...So neither of these accidents can be blamed on speed.
Come again? If rob a store when I'm drunk they can't charge me with robbery? Where did you go to law school? The only reason that excessive speed was not cited as a cause is because up until this year there was no defined excessive speed in the laws (and/or their speed was not proven). These were nighttime accidents. Littlefield "admitted to" 28. That would be speeding today, and his violation of the nighttime speed limit preceding this accident would surely have been another charge. To say that the others were not going over 25 is silly. We just can't prove they were going over 25. We also couldn't prove Littlefield was drunk. Does that mean he wasn't?

Quote:
just because we slowed down
Exactly...finally, an admission that the law was effective from one of you. Thankyou for the honesty.

Quote:
People need to use common sense. Unfortunately, a lot of them don't.
Exactly, so we unfortunately sometimes need laws to coral those without common sense. Laws that the behavior of the rest of us did not necessitate, but that we still need to obey too. I never drove drunk. I use common sense. But does that mean that we don't need DUI laws? Should we blame society for making laws that target those without common sense? No. Happens all the time. We should blame those idiots that didn't use common sense for inflicting limits on the rest of us. I've been telling you guys all along that you are shooting in the wrong direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloway View Post
Can I use that word in some of my posts too? It would really help sometimes.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: