View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #16
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
The seaports expansion is directly related to tech. All the companies moving into the Seaport (Vertex, Amazon, Session M, Chewy, etc) and attracting talent from the surrounding schools and areas.

IMO Marty Walsh actually just hurts the seaport by forcing affordable income housing in buildings which the minimal rent is 2500$ for a studio apartment. I support affordable housing in which people should have access to safe and reasonable housing, but I disagree with giving those people "Luxury Living" on the taxpayers dime. Where the state is now getting involved, again IMO is 5 years too late, they waited until the entire area was built up before putting forth any thought for additional police, fire or school systems for all the additional condos and apartments they added.
Yes, tech is driving the Seaport, and also Kendall Square, across the river in the People's Republic--amazing how those "over-regulated" areas are outpacing virtually everyplace else in the country for growth.

I agree that affordable housing should probably be focused on less expensive land. But the taxpayer does not pay for this difference--the city forces the landowner to set aside affordable units in good nanny state style. So it's the landowner paying.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post: