View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
Dtodt223

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
The "advanced" 1953 Chevy Corvette had a fiberglass body—which actually followed fiberglass construction in boats.

By the 1980s, boat manufacturers had figured out how much fiberglass to leave off.

There's a good chance the wood that makes up the transom has been compromised. I'd move the boat about three feet back on the trailer, take a reciprocating saw to the damaged area, remove everything that looks like damaged wood, and build the area back up with lots of fiberglass mat and cloth. I'd cut away about three times the area that appears cracked.

What you have "repaired" there appears to be Marine-Tex, a substitute for gelcoat, used to make cosmetic repairs. Like gelcoat, there's very little strength to it.

Use epoxy resin, as it is odorless and very strong.

Sand smooth and fair, and use paint to match. Don't bother with gelcoat, as it's expensive, and too difficult to match color—even with white.

You'll have spent about $300 to save this old boat.

As for sideway pictures, be sure you've hit "save" when working with photos.
Thank you for all the good info. I don't think this is something I'd do myself since I've never worked with fiberglass before and would like it to be done right. The hull is fiberglass. I heard something about old ebbtides being years ahead with their hulls. I'm not sure about how this one is constructed like where the wood would be located and stuff, but it seems all solid no soft spots when hitting it. I'll most likely have to bring it somewhere in the spring. Sucky part is I'm located near Manchester and any boat repair is pretty far from me.
Dtodt223 is offline   Reply With Quote