View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #83
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Cracker Jack anyone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
WinnDixie:

I remember it all. Guess we must be of the same vintage. I, too, was a member of the Tom Mix Straight Shooters Club and there wasn't a premium I didn’t send for. Let me see, there was the Look Around Ring, the Whistling Ring and who can ever forget the Indian arrowhead that glowed in the dark? It had a magnifying glass and compass built right in. Does it get any better than that? Once on a roll with the glow-in-the-dark items, along came the spurs with the same marvelous properties. Amazing!

I believe the cost of the rings was 10 cents, but then inflation began to set in and the arrowhead and spurs were a quarter. Junk, you say? What do you expect for a dime, the Hope Diamond? To purchase all of these “can’t do without gems”, you needed a box top from Ralston cereal. Oh, how I hated that stuff, but always promised my Mom I would eat it if she would only purchase a box. Once I got my grubby little hands on the box top, the promises usually went out the window. Needless to say, it had a very long shelf life at our house. The first child at school to receive their long awaited prize was surely the most popular kid of the day and all gathered ‘round to marvel at the wonders of it all.

Thanks for the memories
I guess we in the following "Cracker JacK" generation got your leftovers ... the trinkets they couldn't sell .....

Back when the only service was full service. (self service, what's that ?)
Back when air for your tires was free and they were checked while you filled up .... for $7.25 ... in the station wagon.
Back when the best gas station was the one that gave out the most S&H Green stamps.
Back when Dad went "through town" to avoid the toll on the highway ... saving $0.25.

And I'm a youngun .... relatively speaking.