View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
jonfinn

I hope American Boat Club flies. It's a good idea for certain kinds of boaters. From what I've seen on this forum, Lakes Region local boaters are always helpful and courteous to guests of the lake, until the "guests" disrespect the lake in some way (usually out of ignorance, arrogance or inexperience).

My concern is how ABC will handle training it's members.

I've got a little 17' bowrider that lives on a trailer. I've taken out on Winni and Boston Harbor (other places too). Even though Winnipesaukee can be unforgiving at times, there are parts of Boston Harbor that can be downright scary if you don't know what you're doing. On the right day, in the right conditions, in the right area, it's an amazing place to take a boat ride.

My point is this: An inexperienced FBC member goes out on the Harbor on a breezy day and routinely encounters the wakes of boats 50', 100' and up. Maybe even a 400' freighter or a commuter boat. They get the be-jeezuz scared out of them right away. When that happened to me, I learned very quickly that this can be really dangerous, and that I need to proceed with caution all the time.

Winnipesaukee, by comparison can "seem" easier. After all it's only a lake right?

I don't think that about Winni, but some people could.
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote