View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I read these threads and often scratch my head. I have never oiled the under side of a vehicle. Never had an issue either.........

car#1 oldsmobile 1984 Delta 88 owned by my familiy for 10 years driven 200K miles and didn't have any issues....

car #2 1992 Buick Skylark, driven for 7 years, to 150K miles and didn't have any issues

car #3 1999 Buick Century driven for 5 years about 130K miles and didn't have any issues

car #4 2004 Chevy Silverado, driven for 7 years about 160K miles didn't have any issues

car #5 2006 Chevy Trailblazer, bought used had now for 3 years total of 120K miles and showing no issues.

Now am I just lucky? Or does routine washing through out the winter, and a heavy duty washing in the spring really help....

Most metals are treated these days during the construction of an automobile, the old techniques of oiling them doesn't seem to be needed. Not only do I see my track record, but also that of my father, brother, and other relatives and friends who gave up on the oiling of cars long ago....

Now I am not telling anyone to stop doing what makes them comfortable... just offering up an observation and opinion for others to chew on.... I drive my cars all winter long and put a considerable amount of miles on every year... I don't worry about treatment, I just run through the car wash at least twice a month through the winter, and do a hand cleaning in the spring.