View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #68
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Owen View Post
CAMP BELKNAP - AIR RIFLE RANGE OVERVIEW
OVERVIEW
YMCA Camp Belknap is developing a portion of West Camp to enhance Staff Housing and
Programming. As part of this development, Camp Belknap is relocating and redefining their
Riflery program. The current Riflery program utilizes .22 Rifles and is conducted in the core of
camp, where the noise can be a nuisance to nearby programming and sleeping quarters. Though
all proper protocols are met for safety, the colocation of this program to others is a constant
safety consideration. The new Riflery program will be sited at the periphery of camp, and will
transition to the use of Air Rifles, in lieu of .22s.

please answer this: if it is a nuisance for them why would it not be a nuisance for us?
If this is NOT completely obvious I guess somebody needs to explain this to you.

First off do you have any idea the difference in noise produced by a .22LR round going off versus a pellet air gun? I won't even quantify that pellet gun as either a .177 or .22 caliber as it doesn't matter the caliber or size\speed of the projectile. The sound difference is substantial in that a .22LR has a very distinct crack to it when it goes off. Pellet gun because there is no propellent explosion so they are by nature significantly quieter. Not quite but almost as quiet as a .22LR with a silencer. Standing 20-30 feet away from a pellet gun you're likely to not hear it go off above the natural ambient noise of being outside compared to a .22LR which can be heard clearly from quite a distance.

Now the current range has no sound protection around it so any sound that is created has nothing to absorb it. Thus it would be as described a nuisance. The new range according to the meeting minutes will be surrounded by sound proofing and be safer with a more adequate backstop - so it stands to reason that the combination of converting to air rifles and having them used in an area where the noise is confined via noise barriers will be HIGHLY effective in all but eliminating any noise generated by the shooting range.

The use of noise barriers is nothing new, in fact many gun ranges today create berms around the perimeter of firing ranges to muffle sound pollution and quite effectively I might add.

So end of the day, you're argument is foolish. If you have a legit bone to pick with either the town or camp that's fine, but this particular item can be so easily picked apart that you loose any credibility trying to suggest this is going to make things worse when in fact it will greatly improve the reduction of ambient noise generated by gun fire on the property.

I'm not just saying this I have both a high powered .177 air rifle and a .22LR rifle.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: