Thread: Hit & run
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #17
ApS

Question Where to, Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
Something was going on Wednesday around 8pm too near that area. We were on our way back from Alton Bay (Pops Clam Shell, yum!!) and there were a couple of fire boats and a police boat, lights flashing. I wonder if NH1 has their date wrong?

I wondered that as well, as a boat—fitting that NHSP description—came blasting through Winter Harbor. (Unusual weekday behavior—but not sadly, unknown).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Using the same above report page, I changed the report by Operator's education. As I suspected, the state certificate did not reduce operator's accidents, injuries and death.
How many operator's accidents that didn't happen should the state have reported?

How safe would the lake be, without those certificates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
That doesn't mean boater education is not effective. The avoided accidents are not shown.

To make the case against boater education, you might focus on how basic knowledge of navigation, right-of-way, weather, safety equipment, etc is a waste of time.
Since New Hampshire's unique RSAs are not acknowledged [exactly] by any other state, should certificates continue to be acknowledged via reciprocity? (Like from Florida )

'Course, navigating Lake Winnipesaukee has a built-in "reinforcement", but the "Safe Passage" regulation is routinely shrugged-off. As I mentioned earlier, New Hampshire should require those few "unique" regulations be printed on the backs of every PFD sold in New Hampshire. (And every "Throwable Device"). Boating regulations could be found printed on the latter in the 1960s.

Last Sunday, a Jet-Ski, skippered by a five-year-old proceeded at top speed towards the middle of my boat! Her "Daddy", sitting behind, hit the brakes, and stopped about 50' away.

Little kids seem to be captivated by sailboats, but this "closer look" should have been seen from a much greater distance.

Significantly, the NHMP boats and the M/V Mt. Washington have no difficulty shifting their courses very early when they sight my sailboat.

Last week, an NHMP boat and I did one of those little "hallway dances", BUT still separated by a ¼-mile of water.