View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #125
chasedawg

Default and this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Well -- your going to love this one.

Last Saturday afternoon as we were leaving Meredith, when we got about halfway out of the NWZ I noticed something "bobbing" about 100 yards beyond the buoy. Couldn't quite discern what it could be until closer to the NWZ Buoy and figured out it was two young guys laying flat on their paddle boards and just swimming !!

Incoming boats to Meredith, especially larger cruisers would clearly be coming off plane at that range (with bow up) and never see these two. I could not just pass by without having words with the boys about the danger they were putting themselves in as well as others (done in a very polite tone - my wife is my witness) -- naturally I received some language back yet it appeared that 5 min after my departure, they must have grasped the situation and began heading back inside the NWZ--- of course the (2) 35 foot cruisers inbound may have helped too

and YES - these were Rental boards!
This evening we cruised up to Melvin Bay to watch the sunset. There were several boats watching with running lights on. As we decided to leave and cruise back I noticed 4 objects floating not far from us. We cruised over and discovered there were four paddle boards floating. One girl had a puppy on board. Another had two girls on one board. Another had a girl by herself. The other paddle board had a guy probably in his late 20's.. couldn't tell it was getting too dark. They were all out the way out in the middle of Melvin bay and Black island.

We stopped and told them that is very difficult to see them. "You are in a dangerous situation and said any watercraft must having nav lights after dusk." You guys have nothing to show that you out here in the middle of the bay. I suggested I would follow them to a closer area to shore. They said in a few words "don't worry we are ok and that they weren't concerned. And thank you for interest." But no need for your help!
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote