View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 09:27 AM   #64
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default My two cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPELLER
If every offshore performance boat owner eliminated the noise issue from the equation, in the eyes of many they still would be a problem.
You’re absolutely right Propeller. The issue isn’t just about noise, but the manner in which the craft is navigated.
Last Sunday, early evening, one of “those” boats came within 10 feet of us as we were heading into Alton Bay. We were just passing marker #22 (the Little Mark Island marker) somewhat close, when some fool blew by us. We were completely surprised and shocked. It was like he/she came out of nowhere. Roared by us faster than I can even take a guess on. It sped away so quickly we could not even tell the brand. I shudder to think what would have happened if we changed our straight course and veered right past the marker just a bit. I realize that all of these boat owners do not act this way. Everyone out on the lake should follow the rules to be safe. These bigger boats can go a lot faster than the smaller ones, which can be a bit unnerving at times. It could have easily been a smaller boat in the same situation. If the person I am referring to is a member of our forum and is reading this, smarten up. I love my life and do not want it cut short or altered in anyway because of some idiot being reckless.
I’m not saying that I don’t appreciate the larger boats. I’m an equal opportunity enjoyer. There is a time and a place for everything. It can be thrilling to see boats go zooming by. Safely, that is. I would even go so far as to say that I would love to see an official race on the lake. What seats Rattlesnake Islanders would have!
One of my favorite “big boat” memories this summer was when we were out in the middle of the Broads floating. Two tunnel hulls, one was an impressive Nor Tech with an open cockpit and the other was a bit smaller (not sure of the brand) with a closed cockpit and twin outboard engines. Equally impressive. What a race. No other boats were around and each went on either side of us more than 150’ away. Not close to shore. What a sight and it was okay by me. (The smaller one won by a lot.) Very exciting.
The long and short of my post: Big boat, small boat, it doesn’t matter. It is how you use them. Safety before crazy pleasure for everyone!
Climbing down off my soapbox now.