View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #20
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Steveo...

The pins are steel..... the gimbal Ring & tiller arm are aluminum. The aluminum is much softer than the steel. The stress & vibration elongate the holes and it wears out. Its also quite possible the aluminum "work hardens" over time, then becomes brittle & cracks.. causing a failure.

Dave R.... "The steering lever and swivel pin area much less money than a gimbal ring, but the labor to replace them is the same as a gimbal ring."

This why most marinas recommend you replace the whole transom assembly! You get a new tiller arm, new gimbal ring, new gimbal bearing and 2 new trim cylinders all replaced at the same time. If your smart, you replace the engine coupler too.... then you know your transoms health, have no issues, tight steering and a warranty!

Not a bad setup for $3K!

Woodsy
I guess it would make some sense to replace the whole assembly, but not for me, I keep stuff a long time, buy good used parts when possible, and only replace things that fail. I'm on my 9th season with a rebuilt Bravo Driveshaft Housing (upper gear case) that I only paid $500 for... My lower gear case, trim cylinders and all other major parts except for the gimbal ring, swivel shaft, and steering lever, are 17 years old and working great.

BTW, The steering lever is absolutely not aluminum. It's ferrous and appears to be a nice forged steel part; very strong but not brittle like cast iron.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote