View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #26
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I agree wholeheartedly that there are way too many power boat operators that need to learn the basic rules. However, I also think some of the burden of responsibility should rest with the kayakers as well. Think about it: when you enter a major highway such as Rt. 93 or 95, there is a sign that states something like " bicycles, horses, pedestrians prohibited". There's obviously a reason for this; perhaps it's because people are too stupid to use common sense, so common sense must be "imposed" by the State.

I compare kayakers paddling in busy areas, at busy times, to people riding a bicycle on Rt. 93 - it should be prohibited. Kayakers like to thump their chests and say "they have every right to be on any part of the lake at any time". Perhaps true from a "legal" perspective, but quite irresponsible in my opinion. I think the State should use the same basis for prohibiting bicycles on 93, and legislate a requirement for kayakers to use a tall, bright flag at the very least. Also, the argument claimed by kayakers that a flag impedes their ability to right the kayak in case of a rollover is not valid. At the very least they could put tin foil on their hat, which would increase visibility somewhat (no joke).
Expressways, like route 93, were built with federal subsidies for the specific (we could say "express") purpose of high speed vehicle traffic. They are an alternate to the many surface roads that will get you there just the same, but at a slower pace.

Winnipesaukee is a (essentially) naturally occurring body of water that the state has declared a general-use waterway. If you were arguing about restricting kayaks near locks on the ICW, I could relate to your analogy.