View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #58
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldidonato View Post
All of the other boat renting marinas hedged their answer. Not to single out Anchor (they have been the most cooperative in their attempt to address the issue) but they commented that their insurance protects both them as the owner and their customer. When pressed, they could not explain how their insurance protects the customer.

As far as a short term liability policy, a la airline short term flight insurance, my agent, along with several other NH agencies, all state that such a policy for short term boat renters is not a coverage that is offered. In this case, I can assume that is accurate, because they make money by selling insurance, and none of them have anything to sell to me.

As far as an umbrella policy endorsement under my homeowners policy--I am told that is not available or possible because there is no boat coverage that is part of my existing homeowners policy. I am told that increased liability coverage under my homeowners only increases the coverage that is part of the base homeowners policy. Again, I tend to believe and trust this answer when I ask the question of insurance agencies that are in the business of making money by selling insurance.
I think you have summed up the issues nicely. There is significant liability risk when renting a boat. Major accidents don't occur often but they do occur so be aware of your liability exposure.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote