View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #157
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
A major problem with opening things up now is the need to respect the medical staff. Without a supply of proper protection equipment and proven ways to treat the staff that get infected, they are acting as heroes. People on the front lines have repeatedly asked that people avoid getting sick so that they can minimize their personal risk. To open up now is to treat these heroes with disrespect. How can you ask someone to risk their life because you assumed the virus wouldn't hit you hard, so mingled with crowds and caught it bad. Could you blame the staff if they all called in sick during a non-essential driven surge of severe cases?

Once protective equipment is readily available (any day now?) and catching this novel virus has lower risks (many trials in progress), opening up and letting herd immunity build is a viable strategy, especially for those that don't come in contact with people at risk. People are still going to die from this virus, but we can't continue to ask the medical staff to be among them without sharing the pain.
Lakegeezer, you make some very valid points, and you made them without any political asides....thank you for that. I wish we had the perfect answer: protecting the medical personnel involved in this pandemic, treating the victims of this sometimes-devastating illness, and doing all this while protecting the most vulnerable in our society....all this while keeping most of the workplace in force! What an unbelievable goal! There’s no perfect solution, or so it seems. I share the views many of us have....that we can get a grip on what needs to be done....testing, social distancing, quarantine when indicated, and an eventual vaccine. Please, please, please let people get back to their lives and livelihoods soon before the damage is irreparable. Last thing: we are all responsible for our personal well-being, so those who are most vulnerable need to take extra precautions.
Sorry, my index finger wouldn’t let me stop writing this. Be forgiving.