View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
longislander

Moultonborough?- about 204 system miles @ $33,000/mile means what, $6,732,000 if those numbers are near correct? Where do these numbers come from; the town, NH COOP, UNH? The NH, ME, VT phone company ( Fairpoint at the time) spent over 90 million dollars to expand fiber several years back.

Hopefully the numbers include phone company AND electric company poles. They are the two pole owners in NH and “share” legal responsibilities. Others can attach fiber to their poles. NH law makes that provision, administered by the PUC.

Who/what in the Coop will decide … the directors … the members by voting?

NH Public Utilities Commission (NH PUC)
The NHPUC is vested with general jurisdiction over electric, natural gas, water and sewer utilities as defined in RSA 362:2 for issues such as rates, quality of service, finance, accounting, and safety and with limited jurisdiction over telecommunications as defined in 362:7, 362:8, 363:22 and 365:1.

Four electric distribution companies operate in New Hampshire, each serving a mutually exclusive franchise territory. Electric cooperatives are incorporated under state statutes. They are considered nonprofit corporations and are granted Federal tax-exempt status under IRC section 501(c)(12), provided that 85% or more of their annual income comes from members.

Not regulated, … NH PUC: Four electric distribution companies operate in New Hampshire, each serving a mutually exclusive franchise territory; Eversource Energy, Liberty Utilities, Unitil Energy Systems, and New Hampshire Electric Cooperative, Inc.

Quote:
“Firstlight, Verizon and maybe Charter already have lots of fiber, but only Firstlight sells bandwidth wholesale. So the question remains, will NHEC sell bandwidth wholesale, competing with Firstlight, or compete only as an ISP.”
… and for how long? Captured market … doubtful!

So, cost is unknown, distribution is unknown, but the NH COOP will make money.

There is much discussion at state and federal level for broadband expansion, especially with rural areas.
Speaking personally, I'm totally in favor of broadband expansion, especially in unserved/underserved areas. My concern is implementation. The comment about “Claremont Decision” refers to being required to pay for something, to provide benefits to someone else.

Quote:
“Hub66 is growing in Moultonboro and is a good alternative some of those that can't get cable.”
So why not use them to put fiber on poles? Help the company grow. They are not in the, providing electricity, business! Now, if the COOP was making an offer to incorporate a company like Hub66 ... might change my vote.

https://www.hub66.com/
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links